It goes without saying that blogs which attract a huge loyal following are those blogs that are niche-specific. Blog following honors the old adage that ‘a jerk of all trades is a master of none’. If you are a blogger that writes about every other thing, you are easily going to expose your underbelly as a mediocre blogger. This is so because you cannot be an expert in all areas. Thus, you might be challenged in certain areas by those readers who are expert in those areas as probable errors, misrepresentation, misleading or shallow information due to your inadequacy of knowledge in the respective fields becomes apparent.
Hence, it is always good to pick up a particular niche depending on your target audience and your ultimate goal. This way, you keep yourself lean and fit with expert knowledge. You may not start off as a so-well-informed blogger in that particular niche, but, as practice makes perfect, you will hone your skills with time.
Many people who want to become bloggers always get held back by a cloudy mind characterized by so much information yet so obscure as to be precise. Refine your ideas first. Learn how to choose a niche. Learn how to choose a blog topic.
Steps to choosing your blog topic and niche
To be able to narrow down to your niche, you need to do the following so as to isolate the chaff from good;
- Scribble down all that you think you can write on.
- Itemize what you have scribbled down into more coherent topics.
- Group these topics into categories based on their similarities.
- Refine these categories based on your passion by removing from them all you think you can write on but don’t feel passionate about.
- Refine the categories further by selecting only what you think you are sufficiently knowledgeable in or you have the potential to gather sufficient knowledge on them.
- Repeat steps (1) to (5) adding any new topic that comes to your mind that meets the mentioned criteria.
- Rank these categories according your own order of priority based on your own balance between knowledge, passion, goal and target audience.
- The category that ranks highest become your niche.
- Rank topics within your niche according to your own order of priority based on your own balance between knowledge, passion, goal and target audience.
- Create optimized titles based on your ranking (See the section titled “How to Optimize Each Blog Post”for details on how to optimize your title).
- You can start creating optimized articles one-by-one based on your ranking in (9) and their respective titles in (10) above (See the section titled “How to Optimize Each Blog Post”for details on how to optimize your blog content).